Top Online Resources
Learn & Practice
ArtistWorks for Libraries provides patrons with world-class instruction through self-paced video lessons from Grammy Award-winning music and artistic professionals. ArtistWorks for Libraries offers users everything they need for musical and artistic instruction, from introduction to advanced performance. Students now have access to this kind of instruction, regardless of reductions/eliminations of school music programs and without the high cost of private instruction.
Driving-Test is a free Driver’s Ed program with the following state-specific information:
- 11 car practice tests
- 9 motorcycle practice tests
- 12 CDL (Commercial Driver’s License) practice tests
- 3 online driver’s manuals (car, motorcycle, CDL)
- An FAQ section with detailed answers to 100+ DMV-related questions.
INSPIRE is a collection of academic databases and other information resources that can be accessed by Indiana residents. It includes magazines, journal articles, websites, pamphlets, images, almanacs, library catalogs, practice tests, language learning software, and more.
ProCitizen is a comprehensive citizenship prep course that contains 100 videos, plus interactive drills and quizzes. Brought to you by Pronunciator.
Pronunciator is our new program for learning languages for free. You can learn 80 languages in English or learn English in any of 50 languages with Pronunciator, but you will need a green Peabody Public Library card to access full lessons and premium features. Test your pronunciation in real time with speech recognition. Track your progress and measure your results with scored quizzes. Get real-time, life-like instruction with a virtual coach. Extend your learning offline with downloadable audio lessons. Hop into interactive stories with native speakers through virtual conversations. Check out free apps for your iPad, iPhone/iPod touch, and Android tablet or phone to learn wherever you go.
TERC (Testing & Education Reference Center), via Inspire, is a start-to-finish resource with all the information and support materials needed to make informed, confident decisions to shape the rest of your life.
- Over 300 practice tests and courses
- Dozens of ebooks containing valuable study material and practice tests
- Information on over 4,000 accredited schools
- Scholarship search featuring $8 billion in available scholarships
- Resume builder with over 1,000 brainstorming phrases to get you started
- Career modules covering subjects from career change to salary negotiations
ChiltonLibrary provides quick online access to repair, maintenance and service information on seven decades of the broadest range of vehicles available, including cars, trucks, vans and SUVs.
Some of Chilton Library’s more popular features include:
- Maintenance and specification tables that provide the unique data you need for each specific vehicle.
- Step-by-step service and repair procedures, and labor estimating tool to help you confidently determine your next move.
- Vacuum diagrams to simplify troubleshooting.
- Wiring diagrams to help explain system operation.
- Close-up photographs and illustrations for visual support.
- ASE test prep quizzes for the most popular certification exams
- A print button which allows you to easily print out what is needed.
Comics Plus: Library Edition brings unlimited access to thousands of digital graphic novels and comics to library patrons on any Web-connected device.
- View titles through your Web browser on any computer, tablet or smartphone with an Internet connection.
- Read comics on your tablet or smartphone with Boopsie for Libraries (US and Canadian libraries only).
- Browse by genre, publisher, and comic — then instantly check out your favorites.
- Access comics whenever you want them — no holds or waiting.
Hoopla provides free streaming movies, TV shows, music, and audiobooks with an account created using your green Peabody Public Library card and PIN.
NewsBank provides news and informational resources to our patrons with coverage of local and national topics from America’s newspapers, along with specific articles, obituaries, statistics, video clips, quotations, facts, analysis and much more. With unlimited access from all library workstations and remote access 24/7, patrons can freely search, browse, print, save and email full-text articles without a fee. If you are accessing this database from a remote location, you will be prompted to enter your library card number before proceeding.
Zinio for Libraries, the world’s largest newsstand, offers full-color, digital magazines for immediate checkout and reading online on desktop and mobile devices — or download through apps. Browse from your library’s collection of popular new and backlist titles with no holds, no checkout periods and no limits. Over 2,600 magazines from 38 countries in 15 languages.
Technology Classes on Youtube
Our Technology Trainer, Beth Gaff, has recorded many of her technology classes, which are available on YouTube under the channel Instructor: Beth Gaff and using the links below.
Free Software & Apps
General Computer Skills
- Basic Computers
- Basic Internet
- Buying Technology
- Chromebooks vs. Windows 10
- Digital Photography
- Downloading and Uploading Pictures
- Internet Safety
- Mastering Basic Computer Skills
- Mastering Facebook
- Mastering the Web for Personal Use
- Online Banking, Taxes & Credit Cards
- Raising Digital Families
- Searching Effectively Online
- Simple Things Computer Users Should Know
- Social Media Basics
- Understanding and Using Dropbox
- Using Your Keyboard and Mouse
- Windows 8
- Windows 10
Microsoft Office 2010
Microsoft Office 2013
Tablets and Smartphones
Build a Better Ice Cream Sundae
Do you think you can build a better ice cream sundae? Join us on Thursday, July 27 from 2-6 PM in the Auditorium to find out! We will supply the ice cream and toppings and you supply the appetite. This event is open to all ages, but registration is required—online here or in the Children’s Department.
Summer Reading Program
Summer Reading Program runs from Monday, June 5 to Saturday, July 29. This year, the theme is Build a Better World. Join us for exciting programs, reading challenges, and fun prizes!