Genealogy Resources from the Peabody Public Library
Ancestry.com, the nation’s most popular genealogical resource, with hints from all over the country to aid in your research, is now available inside the library.
HeritageQuest online is a collection of material for both genealogical and historical researchers, with coverage dating back to the late 1700s. HeritageQuest online is accessible both inside the library and outside the library. (To access HeritageQuest from a remote location, you will need a valid library card number to enter when prompted for a barcode.)
Indiana Memory is made possible through the collaborative efforts of academic libraries, public libraries, historical societies, museums, and archives to create and share their digital collections reflecting Indiana’s cultural heritage–an Indiana “Virtual Museum”. Peabody Public Library and the Whitley County Historical Museum have teamed up to create a site on Indiana Memory. Our collection is named Historical Whitley County and holds pictures of the county, the library, Mr. Peabody and some of the artwork in the library.
Our online Obituary Database contains obituary records from local newspapers, 1856 – 1910 and 1983 – present. This online index is accessible anywhere, but newspapers are kept in the Whitley County portion of our Indiana Room on microfilm.
Custom Genealogy Search
Favorite Genealogy Links on the Web
- Allen County Genealogical Society: The Allen County Genealogical Society web page.
- Allen County Public Library Genealogy Center: A guide to the resources of one of the country’s premier genealogical libraries.
- Behind the Name: A site about the etymology, history and meaning of first names.
- Census Finder: A directory of census records found online.
- Cyndi’s List of Genealogy Sites: Over 50,000 sites categorized and cross-referenced.
- Family Search: This site provide free family history, family tree and genealogy records and resources from around the world.
- Findmypast (Free options): Includes a free family tree builder.
- FuneralNet: A directory of funeral homes.
- Indiana Commission on Public Records: Information about preserving the history of Indiana.
- Indiana GenWeb Project: Information about Genealogy in Indiana.
- Indiana Pioneer Cementries Restoration Project: The Indiana Pioneer Cemeteries Restoration Project is an effort to generate public awareness about the neglected pioneer cemeteries of Indiana.
- Indiana State Library Collection: One of the largest collections of family history information in the Midwest.
- National Archives and Records Administration: Family history and genealogy from the government.
- Online Death Indexes and Records: Directory of online death indexes listed by state and county.Social Security Death Index: Social Security Administration (SSA) records of deceased persons possessing social security numbers and whose deaths were reported to the SSA.
- PERSI: The Periodical Source Index from Findmypast connects you to the material and journal records from the databases of over 8,000 genealogy and history societies from all over the world.
- USGenWeb: A large volunteer project to bring together Internet information from all states and countries.
- Vital Records: This site contains comprehensive information on vital records.
- Whitley County Genealogical Society: An extensive and well-done site for Whitley county genealogy. Includes many cemetery records, plus marriage application records from the early 20th Century.